Rainbow Trout Cassoulet
- 1 ½ lbs pork belly, skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 quart veal or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- Small red onion slices and 10-12 Brussels sprout leaves, deep fried and set aside for garnish.
- 2 8-ounce Clear Springs Trout fillets, cut in half to yield 4 portions.
- Flour for dusting
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Score the fat on top of pork belly with a knife, every 1½ inches. Do not cut into the pork.
- Preheat a deep skillet on medium-high heat. Slice pork into approximately eight 2-ounce portions. Season with salt and pepper and sear on all sides, and then remove from pan.
- Add vegetables and herbs to the same pan and cook until aromatic. Add tomato paste, stock, and molasses. Add pork belly back to the pan, fat side up. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add a tight fitting lid and continue to cook for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove pork, add the beans to the liquid and reduce by half as needed for plating.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Dust each piece of trout with flour mixture.
- In a preheated skillet, warm the oil and sear each piece of rainbow trout on both sides until browned and cooked through.
- In a shallow, wide bowl, add ¼ cup of the sauce in the bottom. Place two pieces of the pork belly on top. Place one piece of trout across the top of the pork belly. Garnish with red onion slices and fried Brussels sprout leaves.