Rainbow Trout Banh Mi
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar, or regular sugar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small daikon radish, julienned
- 4 ounces Shishito peppers
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1.5 teaspoons chili paste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 Clear Springs trout fillets, fresh or thawed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 baguette, halved and sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup Thai basil
- 1 small lime, cut into wedges
Takes, Serves 4.
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then set aside to cool.
- Add the carrot and daikon and steep for 30 minutes to pickle, then drain.
- Heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Toss the Shishito peppers with the toasted sesame oil in a large bowl. Using a slotted spoon, remove the peppers and place in the hot skillet in a single layer. Cook, turning occasionally, until softened and charred in spots, about 10 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, use the same bowl to mix together the mayonnaise, ginger, chili paste, honey and lime.
- Once the peppers are well blistered, add them to the sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the sea salt and serve on the side or sliced on top of the Trout Banh Mi.
- Reserve any extra sauce to spread on baguettes or to drizzle over the rainbow trout.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the trout skin side down, season with salt and pepper and sear for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, and continue cooking for 2 more minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove trout, sprinkle with dill and set aside. When cooled, remove skin if desired and slice each fillet in half.
- Brush the inside of the baguettes with some of the Shishito pepper sauce then lay the baguettes on the skillet to lightly toast.
- Layer each toast with one filet that has been cut in half.
- Layer desired amount of pickled vegetables, cucumbers, Thai basil, and cilantro.
- Serve with roasted Shisito peppers, drizzle with remaining marinade, sweet chili sauce and lime wedges.