3-4 cups water
1 cup uncooked wild rice
24 spears asparagus, tough ends removed
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
4 Clear Springs® Rainbow Trout fillets
- Boil three to four cups of water. Add one cup of uncooked wild rice and stir. Cover and simmer the rice for about 45 minutes. The rice is ready when the grains start to pop open. Drain any excess water.
- While the rice is simmering, preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Lay foil into a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Place asparagus spears onto the roasting pan and roll them around to coat with oil. Spread them into an even layer on the pan and add salt and pepper to taste.
- When oven is done preheating, roast asparagus for 15 minutes or until tender. For a crunchy exterior, broil on high for an additional minute or two.
- While the asparagus is cooking, place a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pine nuts, turning often until lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Next, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brush each fillet with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place fillets on skillet, skin side down. Cook for two to three minutes. At this point the trout should be opaque halfway up. Turn over and sear until a golden color is achieved and trout is cooked through, another two to three minutes.
For an extra zesty spin, drizzle this Citrus Dijon Vinaigrette over the fillets and asparagus.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon shallot, chopped fine
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon sugar
- Vigorously whisk all ingredients together, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Drizzle over prepared trout and/or asparagus.
Fresh Fish Kichen pro tip: reserve the leftover vinaigrette to toss with greens for a side salad.