Note: Cedar planks need to soak and pineapple needs to marinate for a minimum of two hours. Be sure to complete these tasks before preparing the Clear Springs® Rainbow Trout.
Cedar Plank Clear Springs® Rainbow Trout with Cilantro-Lime Marinated Pineapple
- Two cedar planks
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1½ inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 dashes hot sauce, optional
- zest of one lime
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon zest
- 4 (10-12 ounce) Clear Springs® Dressed Rainbow Trout
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
For the Marinated Pineapple:
For the Dry Rub:
- Submerge two cedar planks in water to soak for a minimum of two hours.
- Next, place cut pineapple in a large sealable bag or plastic container with tight fitting lid.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients (cilantro, scallion, garlic, olive oil, white wine vinegar, hot sauce, lime zest and juice) together and pour over pineapple.
- Marinate for 2-4 hours and thread onto skewers. Set aside while preparing the rainbow trout.
- Make the trout dry rub by combining the cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder and dried lemon zest.
- Pre-heat a gas grill to 400° Fahrenheit or heat charcoal briquettes until white-hot.
- Rinse whole rainbow trout and pat flesh dry with paper towels. Brush inside and out with olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Evenly sprinkle the dry rub on the inside and the outside of the trout.
- Place trout on the cedar planks (soaked for a minimum of 2 hours), and place the planks over indirect heat.
- Grill trout for 15 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145° Fahrenheit.
- In the last two minutes of cooking, grill the skewered pineapple chunks, turning once until caramelized.
- Serve with grilled vegetables or cilantro rice. Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.