Flakey rainbow trout fillets pair well with crispy potatoes, sautéed veggies and creamy eggs. For a hearty breakfast, serve in individual ramekins or a large, shareable cast iron skillet. The ingredients can also be made in advance, assembled the next morning to warm in the oven.
Breakfast Trout with Crispy Potatoes, Spinach and Eggs
- 2 Clear Springs Trout Rainbow Trout fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5-6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- Olive oil
- 1.5 cups leeks, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2-4 eggs
- Salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro or chives for garnish
Takes, Serves 4-6.
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Put a medium-size pot of salted water on stovetop and bring to a boil.
- Coat medium-size cast iron skillet, or two smaller ones, with a small amount of olive oil and place in the oven to heat.
- Cube the potatoes and add to boiling water.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barely tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add two teaspoons of the oil and add the leeks. Sauté until slightly tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil if needed and sear the trout in the same skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, turn the trout over, continuing to cook for 1 minute. Remove trout and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and add 2 tablespoons olive oil to same skillet the trout was cooked in. Add potatoes and cook until edges are crispy. Stirring often.
- Stir in the spinach and leeks.
- Using an oven mitt, remove the heated cast iron skillet(s) and add the potato mixture or divide among individual skillets.
- Remove the skin from the trout and cut in half for each serving or break into bite-size pieces and mix in potato mixture.
- Make an indentation in one side of the skillet and add an egg for each skillet, or 3-4 if using a larger skillet. Season each with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake until eggs are cooked to your liking. About 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro and chives to garnish.